Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Internet adventures

I think the internet has been rebelling against me lately. A few weeks ago, I got an email from a co-worker, one who is about to become my new manager, which asked me for my screenname as we needed to discuss an important project and IM is the medium of choice at my company. So, I entered his screenname into my contacts on Trillian and waited a few minutes. He wasn't on - or so I thought. Then I received a second email from him and apparently the issue was urgent and he wasn't seeing me online either. Weird. So I restarted Trillian. HUGE MISTAKE. It refused to connect and just sat there and did nothing. I tried restarting the program another 5 times or so and then tried restarting my whole computer. Still nothing. At that point I emailed him back and told him trillian was being a jerk and luckily we were able to work the issue out over email. Of course, about 15 minutes later, I tried another seemingly hopeless attempt to restart and reconnect and voila - it worked.

Last night after returning home from work, I needed desperately to sign on to AIM and it happened AGAIN. Now, it's important to note that this program has worked every other time I've used it in the past month except for the 2 times I needed it most.

Then today, google turned against me. I had been contemplating setting up this blog for a while and decided today was the day to go for it. First step - create a new email address for the site. So, using my last few free minutes at the office, I signed on to gmail and began the signup process, fill out the form, hit submit and... the page refreshes and doesn't accept my info. WITH NO INDICATION AS TO WHY. I try again - same result. So, I gave up on that pursuit for the moment and came to blogger to try signing up for the blog itself. SAME RESULT OMG!!

After I came home from work and tried again and for some reason it worked that time. My running theory is that the page assumed I hadn't read the terms and conditions because I didn't scroll down in the box the first million times I tried. But man, internet - cut me a break here!

No comments: